The principal reason is to educate drivers about the speed at which they drive, especially in locations where speed would appear to be consistently excessive. Radar speed signs are proven to be effective traffic calming devices.
The installation of a radar speed sign can help you…
- Respond to the concerns of local residents who have identified zones where speeding is prevalent
- Take proactive action to secure specific high risk zones such as schools, bus stops, sharp bends etc…
- Positively modify driver behaviour by means of education and information and not by repression or threat.
- Collect the traffic statistics (average speed, maximum speed, traffic density etc.) that will allow you to identify the zones that require your attention in terms of implementation of additional road improvements or safety measures.
- Solve a noise problem
- Take positive action to curb excess speeding without having to resort to costly solutions such as the construction of speed bumps, roundabouts or chicanes.
A radar speed sign helps you meet 3 objectives :
- Enforce speed limits and positively influence driver behaviour
- Re-inforce driver awareness. For example, a text such as “WARNING SCHOOL” has the effect of sending a message that renders the driver aware of nearby risk and almost inevitably results in a reduction in speed.
- Re-focus driver attention by means of instant visual feedback (the radar display is eye-catching and is visible from long distance, vehicule speed as well as warning messages can be programmed to ‘flash/blink’)